Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Our first trip to the hospital

So Mason is sick. I called our doctor's answering service Sunday morning to see what OTC drug she suggested that we give him. He had been coughing, gross running nose and a fever. She says take him to the Urgent Care to get an antibotic. We take him there, the Dr. says she is concerned with his breathing cause he was retracing alot, so he got a breathing treatment there, but she said that we needed to go to the ER to get an x-ray of his lungs. We go the ER they say the same thing, he is retracted quite a bit. He gets an x-ray, they tell us it's pneumonia and he is going to have to be admitted. He gets an IV, fun times:). We wait another 2 hours to finally get a room. We go to our room and prepare for the night before us. They check on Mason several times through the night, he gets more breathing treatments. They wake him up at 6.30 am to draw blood. Our Dr. comes to see Mason between 8 and 9 that morning, the first thing out of her mouth was, "so why did they keep you?" We told her they said that he had pneumonia and about his breathing. She said they didn't need to keep him and that if she admitted all the kids she saw everyday with his symptoms it would be 4-5 a day. To this I responded, "Are they going to pay for our bill?" She checked him out and said that he just has bronchilitis and a bad ear infection. She wrote some rx for us and told us we need to get a neubulizer for him so that we can give him breathing treatments, and released us to go home. We got released four hours later after waiting for one more round of medicine to go through his IV and for paper work to be done. What a long couple days!! The funny thing is, Mason acted like absolutely nothing was wrong last night after his nap. He was his same crazy, active self. Today he is a little bit more on the cranky side of things. That concludes the long story of our trip to the hospital, but believe me this is definetly the short version.

No comments: