Monday, January 15, 2007

Ice Storm

Joplin and the surrounding area got hit with an ice storm this weekend. On the news last night they said that around 70,000 people were without power. Ben's sister Cara goes to Ozark, she stayed the night because Ozark's power was out. We also had our friends Jackie and Sergio and their little boy, Josiah, stay the night cause their power was also out. Needless to say, I kind of have cabin fever. I haven't been out of the house since Friday afternoon when I took a trip to Wal-Mart to get essentials and stuff for bulk cooking (more on this later).
WM is normally a pretty crazy place anyways, but that day was SUPER crazy. The aisles were packed with people doing last minute shopping before the storm. I overheard one lady say, "I wonder if this (the storm) was all a ploy by Wal-Mart to get us to shop." I'm sorry lady, WM can do a lot of things, but I'm pretty sure that they can't shift the weather pattern. The lines were so long, they were pre-scanning some people like they do at Sam's. I do have to say it was a miracle though, I think they actually had a check out person at every available register.
After braving WM, Mason and I headed home and we have been locked up ever since. I doubt we'll even get out tomorrow. Maybe Wednesday we'll get out and take a trip to the mall just to walk around and get some much needed activity.
I'm going to try and get a picture that we took of Ben with a huge ice chunk. He cleaned off Cara's car for her this morning. From that he took off this ice chunk that had to be 4ft long and 18in wide, and super thick. Good thing her roof didn't cave in.

No comments: